Friday, May 20, 2011

Wow! Let's be realistic!

Unbelievable spike in activity from readers yesterday! I know there are those that fail to realize or understand how it all ties together and would rather mentally pass it off to some back ally third party money under the table to bolster these results, and in reality that is fine that they have that miss-guided attitude... Gives those of us that do understand the process and result structure and are able to adapt to it more room and flexibility to take advantage of it. This is a case result as my marketing management predicted it would be... After showing me the numbers from yesterday, it really is unbelievable the number generation that occurred. I may have offended some, even pissed off one or two, for that I am man enough to apologize, but this is my blog, and these are only my personal thoughts and opinions... I am not here to please everyone all the time...This is my space and all are invited into it. Should anyone not like it or disapprove of it, then, like the old saying goes.."Change The Channel!" Or start your own blog and say whatever you like...even to blow off steam about me! If that makes you feel any better, then I encourage you to do so...Blast me all you want and call me all the names in the book... Tell your readers that I am a liar or insane... That would be better than sitting still and complaining about it! Be pro-active instead of re-active! By coming here and blowing off steam you are unknowingly helping me! You don't have to believe me but the stats speak differently, whether you deny their existence or not. Is that what you really want? Or should I just leave it at saying, "Sorry but Thank You!" in the same sentence?
Let me clear the air over some issues raised yesterday... On my Reverbnation site you will, or have found, in my song listing, works separated by the artists name. It is my site, so I will not list the name of a band I am no longer with, that were involved with their creation! I am not here to publicize them, give them free advertising, or kudos, that might take away from my personal promotional efforts... I am aware that they don't approve, but tough!... On songs where my name appears...the issue is that I did not write them... Truthfully..I was part of a 3 piece Band at that time, and these works (BY LAW) are perceived as "joint works"...  Here is a direct quote from an email my lawyer sent to them some time back, when one of them fictitiously claimed these works had been registered and copy written by them (which proved to be false) and they were going to file a cease & desist... (Yes I have a copy of their email claims for posterity)

"What has happened is that "joint works" have been created of which you all were a part, and were also offered to the public as joint works through the Internet. Each songwriter has the right to license each entire song, subject to paying the other songwriters involved their share of any royalties, because each owns an undivided interest in the copyrighted songs. (Copyright Act of 1976). Even if you were to re-write lyrics, or music, to the same song it would then be considered a derivative work and the royalty load would be divided between all members, current and historical. Be aware that the courts will make the division of royalties based on the original members input (33%) and then decide to what extent the new members creative input actually changed the original body of work and break it down from there."

The works that I posted are in fact joint works that I was involved with the creation of. If you look into the lyrics of the song it states that the music was by the person that wrote the music and the lyrics were created by me...All three members were involved in creating the recorded version of the song. I only put my name on those songs to show the differences in style between myself and my new guitarist, that I would be collaborating with in the future (Invoking Scarlett)...Nothing more... When I get comments on Reverbnation about the great lead work...I respond letting them know that I was only the bassist and vocalist on that particular work, giving the praise to the actual guitarist. Legally I have rights to those works as does the rest of the people involved and will not apologize to anyone about laying claim to them. I have posted the original joint works and they have posted re-recordings (derivative works) with newer members. I invite all readers to compare the original works to the derivative works and make up your own mind which version you would actually pay for if given the chance!
All comments are welcome...Even the negative ones! But I do reserve the right to publish which ones I choose and that is the beauty of ownership! Not to hide behind an invisible Internet wall but to pick and choose which comments I acknowledge will be a positive influence to my personal upward movement, and not yours. So make it good and you might get posted! 
Onward & Upward

7 comments:

  1. This is cool as hell! I've had my ass drug through this type of situation before and I feel for you. Don't let it bug you. Keep on doing what you are doing and they will fade away eventually. if you keep looking back you slow down at looking ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Kidd! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Kidd, I told you this type of situation would probably raise it's ugly head. You are more creative than that, and need to move forward and away from the past. Even if it does have a positive bearing on your marketability. Ok, so you have acheived a Bad Boy image, now spend that enthusiastic output to your and James music. It's worlds better than anything you've done before and will set you apart from all the rest anyway.
    Richard Bastropth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Richard!!!
    I know you are busier then hell, and retired at that!! You are a wonderful longtime friend, always with great vision and guidance. I appreciate and respect you more than you'll ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..Negative comment either removed by the blog administrator or the author.... Go figure!

    ReplyDelete